Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What do you mean I have a tail?



Actual x-ray of me, obviously right after the accident.
Can you spot the problem? ;-)

I have a tail. So do you. Apparently everyone does and most don't even know it. Might make a good bar bet.

Seems your spinal cord only goes down to the upper part of your lumbar spine (your spine has 4 parts, cervical, thoracic, lumbar and finally sacral parts, moving from top to bottom). At the bottom of the spinal cord is the cauda equina, which as all of you know is Latin for "horse's tail". This is a bundle of nerves that branches out to control the lower parts of your body, things like legs, bowel and bladder, and of course your 'fun zone'.

This is the part of me that got smacked hardest apparently, at least from a central nervous system perspective, and why I am paralyzed. My horse's tail is unhappy. Maybe a good combing would help...

So far from everything the docs are seeing, none of the nerves are cut, nor is the cord cut. It seems the nerves are just very unhappy that they got smacked around and squished and so they have decided to go on strike. The big question is how long they plan on doing this and if there is anything I can do to get them back to work.

There is a lot of swelling still in the spinal cord and the tail section, and this swelling needs to subside before any type of recovery can start to make itself apparent. I've been doing research to find out what if anything can be done to help this along, as you can imagine there are a lot of folks and places saying they can help initiate and/or accelerate recovery but not a lot of data substantiating the claims. I'll keep looking into it but for now it's still mostly about waiting for the swelling to go down and for my wounds to finish healing.

If there is anything you guys would like me to talk about please feel free to let me know, I'm just kinda of winging it here, hope it's interesting.


10 comments:

  1. Hey Eric, It is so good to read your posts (and to know that I have a tail). Keep them coming and talk soon
    Mana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo.. that's pretty damn good news isn't it? I mean, nerve damage is the slowest thing to heal in a body I think but it can heal. They aren't severed?

    As far as topics go... might as well start up a Sarah Palin thread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to post the updates. I almost stopped checking back on the site. Like I told my friend Jeff early in his recovery when he felt every day was a bad day... "Someday you will have a good day, then you will have a few more good days, and in time you will have more good days than bad days." You know what I was right! :) So don't fold, too many are investing their love and hearts into you for you to give up on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to read your posts. That's really good news. Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric,

    Are you up for visitors yet? Would like to stop by and say hello.

    -Shariq

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric,

    Just wanted to let you know that the folks at the Triumph675 forum are following your progress and cheering you on!

    Like Randy Pausch said, "the brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things."

    If you have a bit of time, his "Last Lecture" is a great source of inspiration.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo&NR=1

    Godspeed and strong recovery,

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric,

    I've been following your site since hearing of your accident on SBR right after it occurred. Though not comparable to your accident, I knew someone who had been in an accident, was paralyzed and similiar to your situation, there was no evidence of the spinal cord or nerves being cut.....he was told the cord was bruised & that once it recovered he MIGHT have some functioning return. Long story short, full functioning returned. You mentioned there is STILL SWELLING which in a way is good news. As you well know now, nerve inflammation can take an unbelievably long time to clear up. Keep up the good work and yes, please keep posting....your posts give us insight into your journey and serve as a reminder of the frailty of our bodies and the danger we engage in with MC riding. I understand NOT giving it up nor regretting it - MC riding has transformed me in ways very similiar to what you've noted - that's priceless! Sending the best and strongest vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric,

    Great to hear a story behind the picture and to see your sense of humor is till in tack. I'll come visit you this week if you are up to it. :) Bday cake?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eric,

    I like reading the updates, it fills in between when I can visit! Please keep posting any news you have. I'm keeping good thoughts for you and am keeping fingers crossed for lots of good things to come your way. Take care,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eric,

    Thank you for the updates. I like all others am hoping for a speedy and complete recovery for you. I was spectating at Infineon when the wreck happened and spoke with Neil 242 and Keigwins instructor Mike and everyone was shaken up by what had happened. Thanks by the way for your participation in Keigwins@track as those folks appreciate you as well as new riders like myself. Tell those turkeys to get you an icepack and get that nerve swelling under control. You'll be a much happier camper when you get your legs et al back. Best wishes.
    Justin Brown
    Monterey, CA
    AFM 709

    ReplyDelete